Prepare your Visit


Depending on where you come from, you might need a visa to enter Germany. Kindly be informed that guests and workshop participants are responsible for their VISA themselves. You can obtain a visa from the German embassy or the Consulate General in your own country. Be sure to apply for it in time as the application process can take up to three months. Visas for family members travelling with you should be applied for at the same time.

The addresses of the relevant German Consulates with details on visa regulations and requirements for your country can be found on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office at the web page of the Federal Foreign Office.

If it is agreed on that you will get an employment contract with Mainz University, Denise, our personnel manager, can provide you with a document stating that fact. This might help you to obtain a visa.

Who does not need a visa?

Citizens from countries which have opted in to the Schengen Agreement as well as nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Canada, Korea and the USA do not need a visa.

If you are in any doubt, please consult the list of countries and their visa requirements on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office.

Please note that, regardless of the visa regulations for your country, you might need to get a residence permit, depending on how long you intend to stay. 

If you need any official letters, confirmations etc. in order to apply for your visa, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Spice will organize accomodation in Mainz on your request. Housing will be conveniently located in Mainz so that participants can easily commute via public transportation.

If you are travelling with family or have any special needs, please inform our office team in advance.

Klick here for information on our guest apartment.